Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Broken

The scene: a rare quiet moment with Gwen and Cody asleep, Blake reading a book, and me writing some emails.

Blake walks over to me. He puckers up, so I lean over to give him a kiss. Just before our lips touch he pulls away and puts his hands on my cheeks.

"Squishy face, mom," he says. I smile, making my cheeks and lips contort between the pressure from his hands. Blake laughs and smiles, a sparkle in his eyes. He loves this game. The next few minutes are joyful as he giggles at all the silly faces I make.

Concern washes over his face, his eyebrows knit together. "Uh-oh," he says, pointing to my eye. "Ummm... Mom... your eye is broken." Now it's my turn to smile and laugh.

He walks away as I try to explain that it's just a capillary with blood in it....it helps my eye move...everyone has them. He sends one last word over his shoulder before returning to his book, "Gross."


1 comment: