I'm very proud of how I've never allowed any of our children to sleep in bed with us.
I have nothing against anyone who does, but it's just not a good thing for our family.
I want my room to be a sanctuary for sleep. That can't happen if I have little feet kicking me or a child's head hogging my pillow.
HOWEVER...
I broke that rule. This morning, last night... whichever time it was.
I LOVE thunderstorms. But after who knows how long it had been shaking our house, I finally woke up... TERRIFIED. Just for a second. 'Till my reason caught up to my wakefulness. Then I realized what it was and was very afraid it would wake the kids.
I laid in bed awhile longer... listening (and watching the VERY BRIGHT flashes of light make shadows dance on the walls). The storm was fierce! It felt like it was RIGHT above our roof. I started making plans for all the 'what ifs' that could happen.
What if.... the house catches on fire? Plans for who to grab which kids. Who to grab their phone and call 911. Who to go wake up our downstairs neighbor. What else to grab? Where would we live in the meantime? How would our landlord react?
What if... a house nearby catches on fire?
What if... the power goes out? What if it's out for a long time (I'm imagining charred trees and loose live wires) What would a power surge do to the DVR?
Then after another loud boom..... "AAAAHHHHHHHAAHAHH" coming from the boy's room.
I remember my terror and multiply that by a hundred and rush to comfort my baby (who's not really a baby, but still needs his mommy)
Blake had JUMPED out of bed, RAN to the door and got lost and scared in the corner. I open it and find him behind the door crying hysterically, crouched and SHAKING like a leaf. I hold him long enough for my touch to soothe his franticness, then guide him to my room. I go back and get Cody, who is too scared to even cry. (I think he's scared because of Blake's dramatic reaction, I don't think he even has noticed the thunder).
I thought of my rule for .....hmmmm.... half a second. I realized that they would only be soothed while a parent was with them, so that could be in their small beds, or in our bed. And of course this is only a one time thing.
So all 4 of us (Gwen surprisingly slept through it all.. and she doesn't even have a fan to drownd out the smaller booms) cuddled together, and I could feel peace return to my little one's hearts. They knew nothing bad would happen as long as mom and dad were there to protect them.
We dozed for I don't know how long, before I started falling off the bed. At which point I realized that all was quiet outside. So... my rule jumped forefront in my mind again. I led the kids back to their beds and we all slept peacefully ever after...
'till they woke up earlier than I'd have liked, having blissfully forgotten all about the terrible scare.
No comments:
Post a Comment