No, this is not some blog supporting Obama. Although I do hope (for the sake of the country) that he does succeed in the wonderful things he professes he can do. This isn't about him though, not at all.... it's about me. More specifically, it's about my hair!
I need a change, but I don't know WHERE to go to get the change I'm looking for. So here's what I want.....
#1) Color: Darker, but not a lot. That would look totally fake on me. Unfortunately I am completely ignorant of the color options. I've looked around on the internet to find out more info, and I'm getting more confused the more I "learn." So apparently there are skin-tones that go better with certain hair colors. I don't know what skin tone I would be. Also, depending on what kind of color your hair is naturally (or currently) dictates which color of dye(s) will give you the color you want. I don't know how to even begin determining what to do with that info. So I'm going to go to someone... but I want them to know what they are doing, a.k.a. have lots and lots and lots of experience. (Unfortunately you usually pay more for those people..... sigh, the catch 22).
#2) Cut: Stay as long as I can. And that doesn't mean I want to spend hours in the chair. As a figure of speech, I want to keep my hair the same length, even though I know you can't really ever have it as long as it was before you sat down in front of the wall mirrors. Dustin wants layers and bangs. (In my hair, not his!!) But that can mean many different styles. Where should the layers begin/end? How choppy should the layers be? How much hair should I make "bangs"? Sweeping bangs or blunt?
#3) I want to feel beautiful and not regret the changes. I know no one can give me those feelings, that's why I want to do my research before hand. I'll make the color and cut choice of course. But I'm not sure WHERE or WHO to go to, and word of mouth is the best way I can thing of to do the research I need. So.... even if you don't have anyone or anyplace to recommend, please offer any advice of places or people NOT to go to.
I suppose another option is to dye it myself, but I don't know what color to do, and .... sigh.... I need to not think about this for a little while. Obviously I'm not going to be making a decision very soon. But any help would be appreciated!
I am looking for all the same things! Minus the layers and bangs. So please share what you learn.
ReplyDeleteI have had the best luck in Utah as they require more working hours of their students. In Utah it is 2,000 hrs vs. New York at 1,000 hrs. But I believe Idaho has the same requirement as Utah (I just looked it up online). I also trust Aveda salons more than others. From my experience it is best to avoid the mall. I generally pay about $35 including tip for a haircut.
ReplyDeleteSorry I can't be of help on the coloring side. I would just have a consultation at the salon...the Aveda girls seem to know their stuff. You can even ask when you set the appointment to have someone that has worked for a few years.
Hope this helps! Post pics!
I love your thoughts on this! I definitely would not recommend Amber at The Essence Salon in Moscow! She totally butchered my hair! I go to my cousin normally but she lives in Tri-Cities so that is not much of a help. I agree with Dustin about the bangs and layers. And I like the darker hair idea too. I can't wait to see what you come up with!
ReplyDeleteI think you would look great in a darker shade with layers and bangs. Getting a dye and cut from someone that has experience can be exensive. If you feel up to dying your own hair it would be cheaper, and you could always start with a slightly darker shade then go darker if it wasn't what you wanted. As for the cut ask the stylist to cut it a certain length then go shorter if that's what you want. For example have them cut an inch with layers then if that's not enough another inch with shorter layers, etc...
ReplyDeletei could always cut your hair! just kidding, i have grown out of that. im thinking that you should defiantly do a side sweepy bang with 'long layers'. your skin tone is defiantly a winter so you would look good with just about any color except reddish tones. im thinking you should do a dark honey blond. if you want to go a little crazy (money wise) then you should add some low lights of a light roasted brown.
ReplyDeletei could go on. you know me. = )
Kierstin, I know somebody! Do you remember Shannon Sommers from the PU3rd Ward... She has a sister that has lots and lots of experience she is a professional but she works from home and manly does referrals. Her name is Sherry. Her husband is a HC in the Stake. She is pretty amazing. I've seen her work, plus you've seen Shannon's hair. She doesn't charge nearly as much as a salon, and she can help you with a professional eye for which color and cut you would love. I have Shannons number if you want to get in touch with her.
ReplyDelete